Guitar Player Article - 1976

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
fatherofseven
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Guitar Player Article - 1976

Post by fatherofseven »

shinebox wrote:Sorry for the rambling post-man those were great days and that show in particular really inspired me to play guitar.
Don't be sorry! Ramble on! Great story.

I too would like to see the '83 GP story. I seem to remember the interviewer asked Frank about two handed tapping and he said something terse sounding like "I invented it".... brilliant.
CRR Scribe
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

re: Guitar Player Article - 1976

Post by CRR Scribe »

I agree totally. Don't be sorry about rambling. That's a great story. There should be a plac on the board for anyone whose been to a Mahogany Rush show to share moments like these. Nicely done shinebox
DT
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by DT »

Yep, I agree--Shinebox's story brought back similar memories for me.

The thought that Frank was backstage teasing the crowd with a foreshadowing of things to come was always a cool thing.
ayhcult
Roadie
Roadie

Post by ayhcult »

I used to check that issue out of my school library a lifetime ago.I don't know what I thought more impressive,Frank's belt,shoes & pedalboard OR Merle Travis' jacket :shock:
mikeyg
Ticket Scalper
Ticket Scalper

Post by mikeyg »

awsome wow awsome,thanks willy!!!!
maddmarty
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Guitar Player Article - 1976

Post by maddmarty »

shinebox wrote:I remember that article! Those pictures are vintage Frank in blowing the headliner off the stage mode.Willy,do you have the '83 article as well?Its the one with Brian Setzer on the cover(GP).That '76 article brings back a lot of memories.I saw it 2 years later in '78 right around the time that Mahogony Rush played at Giants Stadium.They were the first band to come on at 11:30am in the pouring rain followed by Journey,Nugent and a totally stoned Aerosmith who were pathetic.I never saw anything like it!Frank was absolutely relentless ripping into that guitar like nobody's business.After barely 1/2 an hour he was gone and everyone around us was like WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT AND WHY ISN'T THIS GUY STILL ON???!!! I remember about 15 minutes before he came on he played his open A string like a volume swell from back stage once or twice over the house music and then this blistering insanely fast barrage of notes that caught the whole stadium's attention.Right after that MH came on and opened with The Answer and absolutely rolled that place. I came to realize that the volume swell/barrage of notes was probably Frank's soundcheck.Sorry for the rambling post-man those were great days and that show in particular really inspired me to play guitar.
I can only imagine what that must have been like. I love stories like that one, on how Frank and MH upstaged the "big" acts time after time. I would love to have been able to be there at Giant's Stadium, or Cal Jam II, etc.
Alas, I was only 4 years old, and living in a different part of the world. :(
Hopefully, some day I'll get the chance to see Frank and the band live.