Classic Rock magazine interview - April 2005

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
Snail
Frankster
Frankster

re: Classic Rock magazine interview - April 2005

Post by Snail »

Barton always gave Frank decent reviews in the 1970s (and early 80s). He was one of the few journalists who weren't 'anti', if you know what I mean. 20 years later he's still interviewing Frank. Sylvie Simmons is another journo who was positive.

Like most journos, Barton probably has an agenda, but I don't believe he was being disrespectful to Frank in his heart. His writing style has certainly slipped. Been doing it too long I guess. Trying to be 'young' and 'rad'.

Anyway: all this publicity for Frank! Roll on the Summer in the UK!!! :headbanger

YEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!
Artist, musician, fan. Frank forever! By the way, I am LUNAPHAGE now, so I may be hassling you on myspace! :D

http://www.myspace.com/lunaphage
Mukesh (Mak) Makwana
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Classic Rock magazine interview - April 2005

Post by Mukesh (Mak) Makwana »

Snail wrote:Barton always gave Frank decent reviews in the 1970s (and early 80s). He was one of the few journalists who weren't 'anti', if you know what I mean. 20 years later he's still interviewing Frank. Sylvie Simmons is another journo who was positive.

Like most journos, Barton probably has an agenda, but I don't believe he was being disrespectful to Frank in his heart. His writing style has certainly slipped. Been doing it too long I guess. Trying to be 'young' and 'rad'.

Anyway: all this publicity for Frank! Roll on the Summer in the UK!!! :headbanger

YEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!
Snail,you do have a point about Barton,i mean he was the only supporting Rock Music in the face of Punk Music(at the time) and that's what find disappointing about him,i have said he used to like Frank's music and he has said in writing at the time(mid 70s)i felt the way he was putting the questions SEEMED disrespectful(to me he was)no matter,the main thing is Frank should be with us in the Summer and we can all look foward to that
I heard that...Pardon??? :guitarist:
Snail
Frankster
Frankster

Post by Snail »

I look forward to seeing Frank AND you in the Summer, Mak! :D

Snail.
Artist, musician, fan. Frank forever! By the way, I am LUNAPHAGE now, so I may be hassling you on myspace! :D

http://www.myspace.com/lunaphage
Mukesh (Mak) Makwana
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Classic Rock magazine interview - April 2005

Post by Mukesh (Mak) Makwana »

Snail wrote:I look forward to seeing Frank AND you in the Summer, Mak! :D

Snail.
it will be great to meet you mate-ps Everton are having a great season-who said you are one man(boy?)team-come on you Toffees Champion League beckons :clap
HoopaJoob

Post by HoopaJoob »

There still appears to be present a tainted slant about Frank; it may be very subtle, but it's there, at least in this one. It's only my personal opinion, but this interviewer has not abandoned his own preconceived notions regarding the early storytelling about Frank Marino, and it's quite plain to me, too, that some people still want to peddle a sort of demeaning view of the whole Mahogany Rush thing. With a plethora of both new photographs and even more accessible quotes to use, he chose old ones that bolstered the old premise he is pretending to help refute.

Didn't like it - in fact, I thought it was lame. Frank is a very old & good friend, and I will always say to anyone, anywhere, that Frank Marino is simply a great musician and entertainer; that's what he does. It's a package, and his whole persona is predicated on nothing but the desire to do that. It has noting to do with an adolescent mindset anymore, save the name, and once in a while personal recollections that are powerful. So when this man is virtually slandered, it's still pretty lame. Thankfully, 99% of the writers who look at his career in retrospect and concomitantly comment about his current comeback, it's fair and truthful. Frank is just another rock musician amongst a hundred other guys making an attempt to earn a living while seriously entertaining those of us who dig what he does, and then, by default, peopel who end up seeing it by accident. They become die hard, life long fans. On the other hand, when COMPARED to those other peers of his, he's actually unparalleled, and we all know it.

Plus, the guy is sorta cool, if but a mailicious practical joker:-) (like his bud Willy, no doubt :-)
JaminJim
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by JaminJim »

Better to be a reincarnation of Jimi then Kurt Nobrain?
Sweet Mother McCree, stir my grits and toss my jambalaya
ibroxloyal
Ticket Scalper
Ticket Scalper

Post by ibroxloyal »

Nice to see the Port Vale concert metioned - I was there - and it was my first intro to Frank... The very next day I bought the LIVE album and IV - and I've been a huge fan ever since! Cant wait to see you, again! :D
Ibrox Loyal -

And did you think I wasn't going to blacken his room