The Mean Fiddler - Review thread - July 27, 2005

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
Wild Willy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Mean Fiddler - Review thread - July 27, 2005

Post by Wild Willy »

Anyone commenting on the July 27, 2005 show at the Mean Fiddler in London, please use this thread.
Last edited by Wild Willy on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum and Website Administrator
Wild Willy
Site Admin
Site Admin

re: The Mean Fiddler - Review thread - July 27, 2005

Post by Wild Willy »

Frank is playing right now and the word was that it was crowded and Frank seemed to be in a great mood. So far, no probs. :clap
Forum and Website Administrator
Arctic
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Arctic »

Thats good to hear Willy.
Sitting next to the man himself...Life is good...
Snail
Frankster
Frankster

Post by Snail »

Come on! It's 5.28 am. here and still there are no reviews! :D
Artist, musician, fan. Frank forever! By the way, I am LUNAPHAGE now, so I may be hassling you on myspace! :D

http://www.myspace.com/lunaphage
parky
Frankster
Frankster

Post by parky »

i have a friend who went to the mean fiddler last night and he just sent me a text. i don't know if he is a member of the board so i'll post his text, but a full review will have to wait for someone else;

"awesome. 3 hours plus, no encore. setlist to follow. 300 people plus there"

i know that is hardly comprehensive but I hope it helps till someone else can get a detailed review up.

i am going to holmfirth and i know there are a bunch of us off the board in attendance. there will definitely be detailed reviews off that show, not least from me.

rock on and enjoy southampton anyone that's going tonight.

parky
parky
Frankster
Frankster

Post by parky »

here is an email off the same mate that went last night;

Exactly 3 hour set and finished bang on curfew 11.00pm.

Set list (not in perfect order)

Voodoo Chile

Drum kit had to re-assembled as the cymbals were bust
after only one number

Red House – solo playing for 10 mins while above sorted out

He’s calling

Midnight highway

The Answer

Guitar prelude to a Hero

Poppy (including she’s not there and cross roads)

Strange Universe

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Avalon

Drum solo

Electric Reflections of War (including World Anthem)

Try for freedom ?

300 – 400 in attendance, great sound and only £12 a ticket. What more could you ask for?"

roll on holmfirth!!

cheers

parky
matt t.
Frankster
Frankster

Post by matt t. »

I wrote a lengthy review about an hour ago but I was disconnected at some point and the whole thing was lost! Don't have time right now but will try to repeat it soon..

Fantastic gig, though!!!
Matt T.
ZoSo
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: The Mean Fiddler - Review thread - July 27, 2005

Post by ZoSo »

matt t. wrote:I wrote a lengthy review about an hour ago but I was disconnected at some point and the whole thing was lost!
Just a small tip when you're writing lenghty posts: before submitting it, take few seconds to paint the text with your mouse and copy it to clipboard. Easiest way to copy is to press "Ctrl + c". If you have troubles on submitting it, you can start from the begin an paste the whole text from the clipboard simply by pressing "Ctrl + v". After messing up a few times I do that quick ritual every time I post anything lenghty.
dlangham
Frankster
Frankster

Re: re: The Mean Fiddler - Review thread - July 27, 2005

Post by dlangham »

parky wrote:here is an email off the same mate that went last night;

Drum kit had to re-assembled as the cymbals were bust
after only one number

Red House – solo playing for 10 mins while above sorted out

cheers

parky
The story with the Drum kit is as follows:
We were short shipped 3 Cymbal brackets with the kit, it was decided that David could start the show without them and when they arrived via courier we would fit them while Frank did a fill in solo, this was all planned prior to the show and didn't affect the production of the show too much...I hope!!!

Regards
Dale
Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself.

http://www.dspromotions.co.uk
matt t.
Frankster
Frankster

Post by matt t. »

Okay. My second attempt at a review.

Frank and the guys entered the stage just after 8pm, to warm applause and cheering. Frank began by saying "Well, it's been twenty-two years..." ( Cheers) "That's a big ocean out there...it's hard to swim!"( more cheers and laughter). Then they struck up "Voodoo Chile/ Something's Comin' Our Way", segueing at the same point as on RealLIVE! What was noticeable straight away was the sound. Frank's tone was spot on - clean and powerful. The solo on "Voodoo Chile" built beautifully and drew great appreciation from the crowd when it ended. It was just wonderful to be there watching Frank live, back on a London stage after all these years, stretching out in his own inimitable way.

A delay followed while the cymbals were fitted to David's kit! Frank filled the gap firstly by chatting. He told us how great he felt to be back in London, adding that he knew we were going through some problems right now but that we should "Keep on Rockin"( said with a clenched,raised fist and a smile). That got a big cheer. I think it was really appreciated that he didn't cancel the show due to the current security concerns ( Three of the recent bombings occurred less than a 15 minute walk from the venue). As the delay continued Frank began improvising some mellow, jazzy chords and then played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" which led into the intro to an incendiary version of "Red House", drumkit now complete! Between songs Frank handed out about half a dozen picks that were stuck into his mike stand to the people right in front of him. Needless to say they were all grabbed up with gusto !
"He's Calling" followed with some wonderful duelling between Frank's guitar and Avi's violin. Avi got a very warm reception from the crowd by the way and seemed really pleased.
I lost track of the exact order of songs at this stage but there was "Midnight Highway" and one of my faves "The Answer" which was so great to hear live again, finishing with that incredible flurry of notes.
The prelude to "Stories of a Hero" was sublime- a longer version than on RealLIVE! with a particularly gorgeous, ringing tone to it. "Poppy" followed with the "She's Not There" and "Crossroads" excerpts. "Crossroads" rocked!
Up next was probably my favourite bit of the gig. Frank switched to the Glynn SG to play "Strange Universe" By this time I was standing very close to the stage, to the right (Facing) side. Frank moved to that side for most of the song and was stood right in front of me, almost within touching distance. It was absloutely awesome to see him using his range of fingering techniques without a pick- brushing,tapping and string-flicking to coax these amazing sounds out of his instrument. Such control, such technique!! The sound was washing over me and pulsing right through me like an electrified wave.
A highly energized and totally rocking "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame " was next with the central solo including the "Ain't Dead Yet" tapping , the slide-effects and the wah-wah extravaganza. Every time Frank moved over to his foot control panel there was a buzz of anticipation. What incredible sound was he going to produce next! Is this guy the King of guitar effects or what?!
Then came "Avalon" and a chance for all the guys to shine.Peter played a lovely bass solo and Frank smoked and smiled from ear to ear as Avi produced some wild sounds on his violin.
The finale of the evening was the aural onslaught of "Electric Reflections" (again, right in front of me- mind-blowing!!) followed by the peaceful aftermath and finally the wonderful, uplifting,majestic "Try For Freedom" to finish. Frank and the guys left the stage with cheers ringing in their ears and a happy and thoroughly entertained crowd filtered out into the
rainy London night. Had it really been 22 years..?!

The evening hadn't quite finished for a lucky few of us who found our way to a room upstairs, however. We got to meet Frank and hang out for a
while. He was as charming, friendly and genuine as can be and it topped off a perfect day. The man is special, simple as that.
Last edited by matt t. on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt T.