Frank makes the list

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
Franksfan24
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

re: Frank makes the list

Post by Franksfan24 »

I agree with marhill,its up to an individual as to who the best musician/guitar player is! Mr.Marino,is mine all mine!!!
We franksters are fortunate to have him back!
Cobb&Alfred
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Frank makes the list

Post by Cobb&Alfred »

curtis wrote:phill keagy is one of the best guys he is a christian in the early 70's clapton was asked whats it like to be the best guitarist in the world he replied i dont know why dont you ask phil keagy. he is a very amazing guitarist in my opinion fast fluid and clean. he sings like paul mccartney.
his band was glass harp.he went solo in the mid 70s he has been a devoted christian as long as i can remember. if i were to compare him or frank and say which is better i would say they are both the best . it is a case of apples and oranges. he also was like 16 when he did his first album with glass harp. i have some of his recordings and he was one of the first guys i ever heard play 64th notes i mean he rips man.
Didn't Hendrix say that about Keagy and not Clapton?
bluenote
Roadie
Roadie

Post by bluenote »

Add Snowy White to the Lizzy List making it 6
There is no free expression without control of the tools you use.
Cobb&Alfred
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Cobb&Alfred »

I noticed that 3 great canadians were listed near each other. Pat Travers, Rik Emmitt, and Frank Marino. You think the creater of the list was thinking about Canadians right about that time. A list like this is kind of crazy because people like different types of music. I read through the list so fast but was Larry Carlton on it?

James Young or Tommy Shaw from Styx are not on it, neither is Rich Williams of Kansas, Jeff Watson- (the other half of Night Ranger), Paul Dean- Loverboy, Howard Leese- Heart, I could go on. Of course I could have missed these on the list since I went so fast.

Neil Young is ranked much higher than he should be. What's his claim to fame? Listen to the solo in Southern Man or Cinnamin Girl. He is consistently slopply though, so that might count for something. I do like him though. When I was younger and in a band playing guitar , me and the other player would give feedback like, "Man you sounded like Neil Young on that one", trust me, it wasn't flattery.

:roll:
Arctic
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Arctic »

It seems to me if you make it in the music business, and suck at it in some way, you get credit just for having the balls to play in front of people, and think your great. See Neil Young? He is a great songwriter, and i happen to like his voice but the thing he sucks at is playing guitar. Another example of one whos good, and sucks at the same time is Bob Dylan, Dillan, i don know but i think hes a lousy singer, yet he's a great writer, go figure.
Sitting next to the man himself...Life is good...
Cobb&Alfred
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Frank makes the list

Post by Cobb&Alfred »

Arctic wrote:It seems to me if you make it in the music business, and suck at it in some way, you get credit just for having the balls to play in front of people, and think your great. See Neil Young? He is a great songwriter, and i happen to like his voice but the thing he sucks at is playing guitar. Another example of one whos good, and sucks at the same time is Bob Dylan, Dillan, i don know but i think hes a lousy singer, yet he's a great writer, go figure.
You're right on it man. Its a crazy business. I know Frank would agree with that.
Snail
Frankster
Frankster

Post by Snail »

Ah, a difference of opinion here! :D

I happen to like Neil Young's guitar playing. Listen to Live Rust - especially 'Like A Hurricane' and 'Cortez The Killer'. There is a lot of power in his playing, mixed with emotion, passion and melody. His playing is a trip in itself. I know it sounds like he's using a house brick for a plectrum. I know his playing stutters and splutters. That's how he expresses himself through his guitar. Listen to his jams with Stephen Stills. They are having conversations with their guitars. It's almost avant-garde.

These guitar lists are bunkum anyway!

We KNOW who we like, right!? :D
Artist, musician, fan. Frank forever! By the way, I am LUNAPHAGE now, so I may be hassling you on myspace! :D

http://www.myspace.com/lunaphage
nvosmeier
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by nvosmeier »

Most of Neil's accoustic songs are okay. In my opinion, he sucks on electric guitar. His attempts to play lead in Crazy Horse are comical.
suecee
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by suecee »

Snail, you're my hero! :clap LOL Thanks for putting into words these sentiments that very much echo my own. Neil isn't like anyone but himself. I may be mixing metaphors, but let me just say that Neil "goes to the beat of a different drummer" and I wouldn't have him any other way!!!

( BTW, you mentioned two of my favorite N.Y. tunes!! :D )

And might I add that the word "best" is purely subjective here, so really... how can one be objective about discussing this? You honestly can't.
~SUECEE
Plastic Man
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Plastic Man »

Sorry folks but that list is a joke. Hard to move Jimi but Ill bet anything If Jimi were alive today he would give Frank his spot. Lord knows what the man would be doin today but Im sure it would be amazing. But up to his expiration date Franks better. Thats right folks it aint a popularity contest and Frank is better than Jimi was. Which could make him the best ever in his genre. Anyway you cant mention Phil Keaggy without mentioning Leo Kottke. Oh yeah and by the way theres at least 50 Jazz Fusion players that smoke half that list at least. Yes Larry Carlton is just one of them. You guys wanna know something just ask.