Important... The more things change...

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
Frank Marino
Site Admin
Site Admin

Important... The more things change...

Post by Frank Marino »

They say, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

This has certainly proven itself true countless times throughout the existence of Mahogany Rush, in all it's formations.

But, this time, it's a reality that will no doubt cause quite a bit of turbulence within our plans for this album and any immediate touring.

The fact is that, unbeknownst to me in advance and completely unexpectedly, our current drummer has recently informed me that he has taken a gig with another group... the type of group which is, in the opinion of many that I know, a very generic poser-band.

No sooner had we appeared at the radio launch of the new CD, when I was informed of this almost the very next day. Needless to say I was stunned, as was the record company, our friends, our crew and everyone else that had put so much hope, time, effort, and energy (including all of you supporters) into making RealLIVE! the hope for the coming months and possibly years. Moreover I felt it was a very unfortunate situation, and I am greatly disappointed and disheartened.

But, as many of you know, I've been through this sort of thing before, where the best-laid-plans get a monkey-wrench thrown into them where Mahogany Rush is concerned... Remember the Strange Dreams thing, where we waited twelve years to get on the radio in a meaningful way and, just when we did, the record company had a falling out with us? And there have been countless other disappointments of this nature over the years. I call this the "undertow". So, this only makes us stronger in the long run, as it has in the past. It just takes a bit of patience.

So it has come to the point that, just as we should have been getting ready to tour, with real record company support (imagine that!), real managerial support, genuine fan support, great initial reviews and everything finally falling into place, I suddenly find myself looking for a new drummer again. However, once I find one (and I assure you that I will), everything will go back to "normal". But, for the time being, this will result in a bit of a delay. I'm hoping it will only be a matter of a few weeks delay, not more. We have to find the right guy with the right attitude, because attitude is usually more important than anything else, in my opinion, especially now.

I apologize about this, to all the fans who have supported us and have waited for us to finally come out, and I apologize to the record company who have shown immense support for us, like I haven't seen in years. But I will make this happen, and I'm confident that we'll be able to look back on this as a minor setback. I've already seen and spoken to about 6 or 7 guys, and things are looking good.

Quite often the things one hopes and works for in life sometimes turn into mud, and usually for the worst of reasons. If I had known that this was going to happen, I would have done whatever I could have done to avert it but, as it is, it was decided without my input. But, even so, I think that it's probably for the best in the long run anyway for everybody concerned.

Once again, Mahogany Rush will have to get back to the grindstone, work hard and re-emerge stronger than before, God willing.

Hey, you know what they say, "Whatever doesn't kill me only makes me stronger."

Thanks for your understanding...

Frank
Last edited by Frank Marino on Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wild Willy
Site Admin
Site Admin

re: Important... The more things change...

Post by Wild Willy »

I knew it was you Fredo :moon
Forum and Website Administrator
stick
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by stick »

These kind of things only happen to the people that can handle it Frank, and your the man!
Good luck, somebody out there must want to tour with the best.

peace, stick
OneEyeRed
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by OneEyeRed »

Man frank I thought I had the worst luck around as of late sorry to hear this. Well as you fully know everything happens for a reason and purpose, people come and go in our lives for specific time periods and places, events etc. I would only hope you and Timm Beiry were still close as I see no other drummer next to Ayoub who had the magic with you. I hope you can truly find a worth replacement.

On another note there is this guy named Shane Gaalaas who I saw and briefly spoke to who was drumming for Michael Schenker on the unforgiven tour. He also plays alot with Jeff Kollman and is currently with him in Cosmosquad. If this guy is free Frank no BS, take a look at him. He is one of the most powerful drummer's I have seen in a very, very long time. It takes alot for a drummer to get my blood flowing and seeing this guy live was as good as seeing Schenker play. If you can reach him and I know you can it doesn't hurt to check him out in all honesty. You have nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain with this guy. He is one of the best drummer's I have personally seen in many years.

Regardless I wish you the best as always in all you do and await your magnificent return to the Motor City!

peace,

Eric
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen- Hebrews 11:1
Mukesh (Mak) Makwana
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Mukesh (Mak) Makwana »

Frank,on a lighter subject anychance of playing the drums(well you are drummer!)and the guitar as well :shock: ,just a thought buddy and i don't mean in the studio :D -OH NO WILLIE GONNA ZAP ME
I heard that...Pardon??? :guitarist:
Lyra
Roadie
Roadie

Re: re: Important... The more things change...

Post by Lyra »

Mukesh (Mak) Makwana wrote:Frank,on a lighter subject anychance of playing the drums(well you are drummer!)and the guitar as well :shock: ,just a thought buddy and i don't mean in the studio :D -OH NO WILLIE GONNA ZAP ME
Drums and guitar at the same time?????
Never heared before :shock: :winky
me and Frank share the same last name...are we relatives???who knows
ZoSo
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Important... The more things change...

Post by ZoSo »

Lyra wrote:Drums and guitar at the same time?????
Never heared before :shock: :winky
Maybe good guitar players are easier to find than good drummers...

So how about a tour behind the drums... :lol:

I'm sure there are lots of voluntary guitar players here to join Mahogany Rush... :lol:
jnf
Groupie
Groupie

Post by jnf »

Frank,

I too agree that you should take a look at Shane Gaalaas if he is available. I saw him with Schenker in Seattle, but more importantly with Vinnie Moore opening 4 Schenker. Ther shared the same rhythm section. Shane knows how to follow flow really well and is one dynamic musician. Him and Barry Sparks made for one of the best rhythm sections I have ever seen. I believe both these names have been involved with Uli Jon Roth as well if memory serves. Anyway, best of luck replacing Josh.
Pjdrums
Gate Crasher
Gate Crasher

Post by Pjdrums »

SUP FRANK ?.....PJ HERE........THE NEWEST DRUMMER FOR RICKY RAY OUT OF CLEVELAND..........I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET ON THE TRIBUTE CD THATS PICTURED ON THE SITE......SOOO IF YOU GET IN A SPOT AND YOU'RE STILL LOOKIN FOR A DRUMMER PLEASE GET BACK TO ME.......I CAN KICK A LITTLE PAISAN.........ASK RICK...I'M SURE HE'LL VOUCH FOR ME......PJ
Pjdrums@localnet.com........or 419-627-8181
PJ
Dave Hall
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Dave Hall »

Frank, I hope your drummer situation has panned out by now. I noticed this is a thread from nov., so hopfully the holidays were filled with a new energy within your band. Life is always a test, but the timing on this one...
Your last drummer sounds like he made a very "Young " decision. I've had this happen several times to me, and as confusing as it was at the time, I look back and see a positive each time...
I'm looking forward to hearing the new addition, and being a drummer for 40 of my 41 years of life, I know how lucky and fortunate your last drummer was. I'm sure he'll look back someday and think about how special that time in his life was, and what could have been...
"Go have fun! Forget about musical perfection, or even getting close to it."
Remember the following words... (they are my own, and have always been my doctrine of these musical arts, and they even seem to apply to any other thing than music):
"It stops being fun when you can no longer amaze yourself!"-Frank Marino

http://davehall.dmusic.com