Frank makes the list

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
curtis
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

re: Frank makes the list

Post by curtis »

phill keagy is one of the best guys he is a christian in the early 70's clapton was asked whats it like to be the best guitarist in the world he replied i dont know why dont you ask phil keagy. he is a very amazing guitarist in my opinion fast fluid and clean. he sings like paul mccartney.
his band was glass harp.he went solo in the mid 70s he has been a devoted christian as long as i can remember. if i were to compare him or frank and say which is better i would say they are both the best . it is a case of apples and oranges. he also was like 16 when he did his first album with glass harp. i have some of his recordings and he was one of the first guys i ever heard play 64th notes i mean he rips man.
peaceloveand tacos
rick
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by rick »

Yeah, Ted Nugent was also qouted as saying Phil Keaggey was "the best there is". No doubt the guy is phenomenal. I've seen him twice. He does things "no one else" can do...and his voice is pretty flipped out too. He's got an amazing range. Glass Harp reunited quite a few years back and have been gigging sporadically ever since.
DocBluez
Band Aid
Band Aid

Re: re: Frank makes the list

Post by DocBluez »

Last I saw about Eric Bell was that he was doing some club dates in Europe under the banner of the "Eric Bell Band" doing "Thin Lizzy: The Early Years." He has a couple of albums that he has put out in the last 6-7 years, "Irish Boy" and "Blues Night in Dublin."
ZoSo wrote:
DocBluez wrote:Interesting list. Besides being into Frank's music, I am a Thin Lizzy fanatic and got a real kick out of seeing 4 former Lizzy guitarists in the Top 200 (Gary Moore, Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham and Eric Bell).
I noticed the same thing but actually that makes it five former Thin Lizzy players. John Sykes holds the position 105 right after Ted Nugent ( :shock: )... Lizzy guys really belong to that list. They have created some very beautiful music and solos.

I know that Gary Moore is doing well on his solo career, Sykes & Gorham are running Thin Lizzy again and Brian Robertson plays in small clubs all over Northern Europe every now and then with bands like Five Fifteen but whatever happened to Eric Bell ? Is he still in the music business ? I'd also like to see Robbo playing for bigger audiences but I guess we should be happy that he is even gigging in the first place.
mandrakeroot
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by mandrakeroot »

Agree with jjd, pole are poles and I like what I like!
:moon
A J
Guitard
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Guitard »

Phil Keaggy is an amazing guitar player. He's a devout Christian and he plays what most would categorize as Christian rock. To this day though, he still really rips up the guitar at his shows.

I recently authored a DVD of Glass Harp from a 1972 television performance on a Cleveland PBS station. It's really cool seeing a show that old. Even back then he really ripped it up.

He tours quite a bit - especially around Ohio. He plays mostly in churches.

Legend has it that Hendrix also made a very complimentary statement about Phil Keaggy. I can't remember what it was, and I have read something about Phil refuting parts of it (not saying that Hendrix didn't say anything - only that what he said wasn't quite what people were making it out to be).

His humbleness is matched only by Frank's.

I just got this from his website. Go check him out if he's playing nearby.

2.8.05 Murfreesboro, TN World Outreach Church
2.13.05 Lexington, KY The Dame
2.26.05 Wheaton, IL College Church
3.2.05 San Diego, CA Maranatha Chapel
3.3.05 Coure d'Alene, ID PRIVATE EVENT
3.4.05 Coure d'Alene, ID Candlelight Fellowship
3.5.05 Sacramento, CA Sunrise Community Church (Guitar Clinic)
3.5.05 Sacramento, CA Sunrise Community Church
3.6.05 Grass Valley, CA Calvary Chapel (w/Geoff Moore)
3.18.05 Billings, MT Billings West High School Auditorium
3.19.05 Salida, CO Steam Plant Theater
3.20.05 Englewood, CO Gothic Theater
3.27.05 Birmingham, AL Briarwood Presbyterian Church
4.2.05 Medford, NJ Marlton Assembly of God
4.7.05 Fletcher, NC Grace Centre
4.16.05 Lookout Mtn, GA Covenant College
5.13.05 Canandaigua, NY Crosswinds Wesleyan Church
5.14.05 Washington, NJ Washington Assembly of God
5.15.05 Annapolis, MD Ram's Head Tavern
5.20.05 Wheeling, WV Vineyard Christian Fellowship
5.21.05 Chesapeake, VA Sovereign Grace Church
5.28.05 Del Mar, CA Spirit Festival - West Coast *With Trio
7.1.05 Altoona, PA Creation East - Main Stage
7.10.05 Lakeside, OH Hoover Auditorium at Lakeside
7.29.05 Salinas, CA Spirit Festival - West Coast *With Trio
7.30.05 George, WA Creation West - Main Stage
8.20.05 South Bend, IN Pulse Festival *With Band
9.10.05 Gaithersburg, MD Covenant Life Church
11.12.05 Tacoma, WA Church For All Nations
3.2-3.06 Coure d'Alene, ID Candlelight Fellowship
3.21.06 Grand Rapids, MI Amway Grand Plaza Hotel

Randy
Last edited by Guitard on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
maddmarty
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Frank makes the list

Post by maddmarty »

DocBluez wrote:Last I saw about Eric Bell was that he was doing some club dates in Europe under the banner of the "Eric Bell Band" doing "Thin Lizzy: The Early Years." He has a couple of albums that he has put out in the last 6-7 years, "Irish Boy" and "Blues Night in Dublin."
ZoSo wrote: I noticed the same thing but actually that makes it five former Thin Lizzy players. John Sykes holds the position 105 right after Ted Nugent ( :shock: )... Lizzy guys really belong to that list. They have created some very beautiful music and solos.

I know that Gary Moore is doing well on his solo career, Sykes & Gorham are running Thin Lizzy again and Brian Robertson plays in small clubs all over Northern Europe every now and then with bands like Five Fifteen but whatever happened to Eric Bell ? Is he still in the music business ? I'd also like to see Robbo playing for bigger audiences but I guess we should be happy that he is even gigging in the first place.

Bell also played in Noel Redding's band, in the late 90's, I think.
Dana
Ticket Scalper
Ticket Scalper

Post by Dana »

re: Phil Keaggy, I'm not into these lists but he would be on my top 5 ever list along with Frank. His style is very different from Frank's but just as brilliant. I have never been disappointed in the many times I have seen him play over the past 30 years. He is one of those guys that seem to be better live than on record. I love his acoustic stuff, I have seen dozens of shows where it's just him alone with an acoustic and I have never been more impressed by anyone acoustically. You just have to see and hear it to believe it. His voice is very good also, one of the few guitarists who can really sing. There are only 4 people who have ever really impressed me on a musical level live, Phil is one and Frank is another. This is from 30 years of seeing many artists and only 4 stand out. Sorry, dont mean to be talking about someone else on Franks site but if you haven't seen him live, check him out, you wont regret it.
Bob Nelson
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Bob Nelson »

Don't take offence Dana, but only 4 people in 30 years? You have got some pretty high standards .
Dana
Ticket Scalper
Ticket Scalper

Post by Dana »

no offense at all argus and yes i do have high standards. not that anyone has to meet my standards in the sense that i judge them but speaking musically i feel that there is way to much mediocraty. I have seen a few more in 30 years that i may have liked for one reason or another but as I said there were only 4 who impressed me or left their mark, so to speak.
marhill
Roadie
Roadie

Post by marhill »

There is no such thing as the greatest guitarist of all-time. There are only your favorites. I have mine. You have yours. The problem is, these and lists like these are only popularity contests, and cannot be given any validity at all. I gave up on polls in magazines and t.v. shows..i.e. Rolling Stone, VH1 and MTV, a long time ago. I used to get so mad that "My Guy" was not listed or he was way too far down the list. And some loser rhythm player was near the top. I know in my heart who I think the best are, and are the ones who I love to hear. And that is really all that matters. Besides, the best music out there is the stuff not played on any radio station or talked about in any crappy rag.