The Brook - Review thread - July 28, 2005

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
Gstring
The Big Goof!
The Big Goof!

re: The Brook - Review thread - July 28, 2005

Post by Gstring »

Thank you all for the info ,sounds like you had a great time... :clap
Denis
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Denis »

Great review.

Sounds like we are in for a great night at holmfirth!
mandrakeroot
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by mandrakeroot »

My ears are still ringing!!!
:headbanger
A J
Doubleyoucool
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Doubleyoucool »

To those who were stupid enough not to show up....you missed out on 'a brilliant experience' and thanks so much for giving me all this space in the front row so I was able to take a great series of photo's :lol:. I'll put them on here as soon as I figure out how to do this(can anyone gimme some advise please).

The concert was outstanding! Sure worth it traveling 20 hours. I'll give my impression shortly when I get the pictures online.

Frank, thanks ever so much! Have a safe trip back and hope to see you back soon. Next time in Amsterdam!

Doubleyoucool
blahmcduh
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: The Brook - Review thread - July 28, 2005

Post by blahmcduh »

Hey Double...,

There are sites on the web that will host your pix for free. Here's the one that I use ...

http://photobucket.com/

You have to register but it's free. Then they walk you through uploading your pictures. Good luck!

Doubleyoucool wrote:To those who were stupid enough not to show up....you missed out on 'a brilliant experience' and thanks so much for giving me all this space in the front row so I was able to take a great series of photo's :lol:. I'll put them on here as soon as I figure out how to do this(can anyone gimme some advise please).

The concert was outstanding! Sure worth it traveling 20 hours. I'll give my impression shortly when I get the pictures online.

Frank, thanks ever so much! Have a safe trip back and hope to see you back soon. Next time in Amsterdam!

Doubleyoucool
Doubleyoucool
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Doubleyoucool »

Well here it goes, the appearance of The Master in The Brook, Southampton through the eyes of a crazy Dutchman.

Crazy 'cause I started off at 05:00 in morning driving, flying and taking the coach to get to the gig in time that started at 20:30(Frank, next time you really gotta come to A'dam! :hairshocker ) Anyway, I new it was going to be worth it so lets just say; "That's the Power of Rock 'n Roll"!

Finally arriving at the The Brook I must say it was quite a disappointment finding this rather small venue in a depressive part of Southampton where little exitement was to find. So I was happy when I met up with some Franksters in a near by pub(a place you could buy a beer but that's about it). It's the greatest thing, talking with soulmates about all those great concerts of our heroes we visited including Frankie ofcourse. A story on its own but I'll focus on the memorable one of that particular night.

We came early to the entrance to check if we could meet-up and jam a bit before the show as Frank had wrote me on the message board, only to hear that there was no time before the show. But he promised to come and meet us after the show. Finally at 20:00 the doors opened and we got in, bought ourselfs the already "collectors item" T-shirt of the UK RealLive-tour 2005 and entered the concerthall(or should I say pub-floor). It was said to hold a 600-piece audience(incl. balcony) but the balcony was closed and the ground floor was maybe 1/3 filled-up so about 150 heads
....all Franksters I guess :lol: . The great thing about this was ofcours that I could stand all the way at the front to watch Frank and the band from up-close and take some pix.

So...this guy walks up the stage together with his mates, picks up his guitar, tunes it a bit and starts off playing like he does on RealLive and doesn't stop until 3,5 hours later!

And even though it disappointed me a bit that he didn't play so many of his great stuff from "Power" or "What's Next" or "Tales B-side", the magic and power of this concert and I guess all his other concerts is that he goes where the music takes him! The basis may be the same(the complete RealLive album + The Answer) every time but each concert is a unique musical experience where the audience can witness the magic of creating music.

The communication between the band members bringing the magic alive!

For me the highlights of the concert were definitely:

"Something is coming our way"(very tightly played by the whole band),

"Stories of a Hero"(just a brilliant song),

"Poppy"(even though played too often still great because of the new musical experiments in this song)

"Rock and Roll Hall off Fame"(no comment necessary, just put the pedal to the metal)

"Tales of the Unexpected"(the subtile jazzy solo in contrast with the heavy stuff finishes it off well)

And than ofcourse the meet & greet afterwards with the band. We got into a discussion with Frank about his next obligation as he calls it; "the DVD he's gotta do". Frank explained why he doesn't believe in music DVDs and
isn't sure yet how he is going to do this project. Frank feels music should be listened to and experienced live and ofcourse he is very right there but...we all wanne watch his magic now and again don't we!

Because creating music is like telling a story or painting a picture that you can create yourself when listening to it, Frank feels that you would do short on the music when putting it on a DVD because people only tend to watch it once and than put it away(not yours ofcourse Frank!). So maybe the only way to do it properly according Frank is to bring added value to
the DVD by painting his picture; making a film and bringing in a proper film director to get his ideas realised. Maybe money would be an obstacle though :cry: !

We'll see what the result of the discussion will bring us in the near future hopefully! Here and now, the picture Frank painted in my mind that night remains for ever. The sound was great and loud and the music was magic!

Thanks for meeting up after the gig Frank!

Doubleyoucool
Last edited by Doubleyoucool on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lori
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Lori »

Doubleyoucool....

Awesome. Just, awesome. Thank you!

- Lori
:D
Franksfan24
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Franksfan24 »

Hello doubleyoucool,
very very sharp close-ups,great pics,nice to see you had a good time with Frank & the band!!! Thanx for the photos!!! JIMMY...... 8)
Snail
Frankster
Frankster

Post by Snail »

Wim, your pictures are absolutely fantastic. Thanks for posting them. :headbanger

It was a real pleasure meeting you too. :D

Dave (Snail)
Artist, musician, fan. Frank forever! By the way, I am LUNAPHAGE now, so I may be hassling you on myspace! :D

http://www.myspace.com/lunaphage
It's me!
Frankster
Frankster

Post by It's me! »

Great photos! What camera do you use? (And can I borrow it!)