Frank Marino Tribute "Secondhand Smoke" REVIEWS

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.

What is your favorite track on Secondhand Smoke?

In My Ways - George Lynch
10%
Dragonfly - Karl Cochran
7%
Stay With Me - John Norum
17%
It's Begun To Rain - Audley Freed
10%
He's Calling - Jennifer Batten
14%
Poppy - Rick Ray
6%
Babylon Revisited - Jeff Cloud
6%
Try For Freedom - Ronnie Montrose
14%
The Answer - Randy Hansen
11%
The World Anthem - James Byrd
7%

Total votes: 72
Ze Finnish Line
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

re: Frank Marino Tribute "Secondhand Smoke" REVIEW

Post by Ze Finnish Line »

Wow, took quite a while for those post guys to make a copy for everyone... :P

You better but them a faster cd burner before next Christmas :winky
maddmarty
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by maddmarty »

Favorite at the moment: He's Calling! I think Jennifer did an outstanding job on this one...
JaminJim
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by JaminJim »

I really keep loving this more and more.
Keeps cranking better everyday!!
Sweet Mother McCree, stir my grits and toss my jambalaya
Bob Nelson
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Frank Marino Tribute "Secondhand Smoke" RE

Post by Bob Nelson »

[quote="JaminJim"]
[
Rick Schulz sounds like he must be an accomplished talented musician and does great on the “Reeds.” I’m not a fan of imitation instruments.
If you wanted a sax, get a sax. Is it not supposed to sound like a sax? Then get something else.

FYI, "Reeds" are not an imitation instrument.Reed instruments are things like the clairinet,oboe,bassoon , and also the saxophone. I am not sure which type of "reed" instrument was used on Poppy, but I am guessing that it was the clairinet. Here is a definition that can explain it better than I can.

Reed Instruments
Reed instruments are different: the end in the player's mouth is not open to the outside air, so the air is not maximally free to move in and out. The pressure is not fixed at atmospheric - in fact it can have its maximum value at this closed end. Consider the clarinet: it is mainly cylindrical and is open to the outside air at the bell end, but closed at the end in the mouth.
The vibration patterns that the clarinet can play are shown in the diagram in the middle. The lowest wave is four times as long as the tube (4L'), the next is 4L'/3, the next 4L'/5 etc. So it only produces the odd members of the harmonic series (see above). Two consequences: first, that a clarinet can play nearly an octave lower (twice the wavelength) than a flute of the same length. Second, it "overblows a twelfth" - you have to go up 12 scale steps (3 times the frequency) before you can restart the same fingering. This is explained in more detail in the introduction to clarinet acoustics.
Here is a link to the page that I got the info from. http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/woodwind.html
JaminJim
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by JaminJim »

argus57 wrote:
JaminJim wrote: [
Rick Schulz sounds like he must be an accomplished talented musician and does great on the “Reeds.” I’m not a fan of imitation instruments.
If you wanted a sax, get a sax. Is it not supposed to sound like a sax? Then get something else.

FYI, "Reeds" are not an imitation instrument.Reed instruments are things like the clairinet,oboe,bassoon , and also the saxophone. I am not sure which type of "reed" instrument was used on Poppy, but I am guessing that it was the clairinet. Here is a definition that can explain it better than I can.

Reed Instruments
Reed instruments are different: the end in the player's mouth is not open to the outside air, so the air is not maximally free to move in and out. The pressure is not fixed at atmospheric - in fact it can have its maximum value at this closed end. Consider the clarinet: it is mainly cylindrical and is open to the outside air at the bell end, but closed at the end in the mouth.
The vibration patterns that the clarinet can play are shown in the diagram in the middle. The lowest wave is four times as long as the tube (4L'), the next is 4L'/3, the next 4L'/5 etc. So it only produces the odd members of the harmonic series (see above). Two consequences: first, that a clarinet can play nearly an octave lower (twice the wavelength) than a flute of the same length. Second, it "overblows a twelfth" - you have to go up 12 scale steps (3 times the frequency) before you can restart the same fingering. This is explained in more detail in the introduction to clarinet acoustics.
Here is a link to the page that I got the info from. http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/woodwind.html
I know what reed instruments are, ok.
If it's a clairinet, then list it as a clarinet. My point is the song is cranking. When the "reed" thing comes on it just drops all momentum. It is short, but the song lost it's drive after that. And it does not sound like a live instrument. It sounds like something from a Casio organ, cheap. Just the tone, not the briliant talent. It probably sound's great live, but does not come across on the stereo.
For me anyway, Peace, Love, Groovy
Sweet Mother McCree, stir my grits and toss my jambalaya
Bob Nelson
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Bob Nelson »

JaminJim wrote:
argus57 wrote: I know what reed instruments are, ok.
If it's a clairinet, then list it as a clarinet. My point is the song is cranking. When the "reed" thing comes on it just drops all momentum. It is short, but the song lost it's drive after that. And it does not sound like a live instrument. It sounds like something from a Casio organ, cheap. Just the tone, not the briliant talent. It probably sound's great live, but does not come across on the stereo.
For me anyway, Peace, Love, Groovy
Thats good that you know that, but when you said "imitation instruments" I took you literally. I have some of Rick Ray's albums and I have heard Rick Schultz many times. He is always listed as the "reed" player on these albums. I was just trying to point that out to you, so relax.
Now back to what the thread is about.
maddmarty
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by maddmarty »

The "reed" in question is obviously a clarinet.

Now... I've been listening to this CD a few times, and my fave is still HE'S CALLING. A Close second is George Lynch's effort (those are really well-programmed drums), followed closely by John Norum. John has been a hero of mine for a long time, and it's really nice to hear him pay tribute to another hero of mine. However, I do think that the CD has a few duds, but i won't name them, as it's obvious that a lot of care and love went into this project, from everyone involved.

Oh, and Willy, thanks so much for doing this, and thanks for telling it like it is in the liner notes.
Buckeye
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Buckeye »

I usually stay far away from tribute/cover type releases because they seldom offer anything flattering to the material or the artist that's covering the song. The latest Ozzy is a prime example. Anyways, after reading these reviews I'm convinced this is something I need to pick up, thanks for the heads up.

Semi-related, I saw Randy Hansen in concert back around 1980. I was impressed enough that I bought his album, I also remember Cleveland radio playing a song from the album called Champaign and Cocaine.

now playing:Todd Rundgren/A Wizard A True Star
Buckeyes-42
meechigan-39
rick
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by rick »

I list Rick Schultz on all the albums as playing reeds because it's not just the clarinet, as on Poppy, but he also plays Tenor Sax, Alto Sax, Baritone Sax and Bass Clarinet on other albums. Some people can distinguish these sounds others hear casio tones in their ears. What made me add Rick Schultz into the fold back in 1979 were two influences on me. Audience (who are back together and even sent me their new album which is phenomenal - Alive and Kickin' and Screamin' and Shoutin') and King Crimson (after seeing 'I Don't Care' perform Schizoid Man opening for Frank Zappa I went home and studied the Crimson version, learned and realized I needed someone like Mr. Schultz to really get that insane sound). I think his solo in Poppy is impeccable. He's also a part of two orchestra's here in Ohio.
Franksfan24
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Franksfan24 »

Stay With Me,by far!!! The album as a whole was very good,however i didn`t get "HE`S CALLING"! :?: :shock: :smootch :hairshocker