Maxoom, Child of the Novelty & Strange Universe remaster

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
mandrakeroot
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Maxoom, Child of the Novelty & Strange Universe

Post by mandrakeroot »

argus57 wrote:Here is the link for Justin-Time. They are actually 6.00 less there than at CD Universe. I am guessing that the prices at the Justin-Time site are in US Dollars.
All I can say is YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I have been waiting anxiously for these remasters to be made available. I cut my teeth on the original Mahogany Rush, and Strange Universe is my favorite album,by anybody.

http://www.justin-time.com/
Thanks for that Argus57 :clap , just ordered my copies. If Willy sells them here and Frank signs them, I'll have to do it all over :roll: :headbanger
A J
curtis
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

re: Maxoom, Child of the Novelty & Strange Universe rema

Post by curtis »

look at the reveiw on strange universe at just in time first its land of a thousand lights and then its says land of a hundred nights .im not one to bee pointin owt speilllin misteaks so im stil biun it. heck i is gona by all threie.yeeeeeeeeeehhaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww :hairshocker :clap :mrgreen: :headbanger
peaceloveand tacos
Bob Nelson
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Bob Nelson »

mandrakeroot wrote:
argus57 wrote:Here is the link for Justin-Time. They are actually 6.00 less there than at CD Universe. I am guessing that the prices at the Justin-Time site are in US Dollars.
All I can say is YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I have been waiting anxiously for these remasters to be made available. I cut my teeth on the original Mahogany Rush, and Strange Universe is my favorite album,by anybody.

http://www.justin-time.com/
Thanks for that Argus57 :clap , just ordered my copies. If Willy sells them here and Frank signs them, I'll have to do it all over :roll: :headbanger
Hi mandrakeroot, I am guessing that buying the cd's direcly from Justin-Time would be like buying them here at the website as far as being sure that Frank will get his proper royalties.
I have put in my order from Justin-Time also.
mandrakeroot
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by mandrakeroot »

argus57 wrote:
mandrakeroot wrote: Thanks for that Argus57 :clap , just ordered my copies. If Willy sells them here and Frank signs them, I'll have to do it all over :roll: :headbanger
Hi mandrakeroot, I am guessing that buying the cd's direcly from Justin-Time would be like buying them here at the website as far as being sure that Frank will get his proper royalties.
I have put in my order from Justin-Time also.
Frank will get his dues from these, I am unable to wait just too impetuous by half :lol: I did this last time with the remasters and still bought them from here, double royalties for FMMR, he deserves it :lol:
A J
stick
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by stick »

Yes!... Best 50+bucks you'll ever spend.
EmperorIV
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by EmperorIV »

CDUniverse has listed these pushed back to 11/7/06
Wild Willy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Wild Willy »

Erik wrote:GAAAAAHHHH :headbanger

Willy,please let us know if they will be available from this site.

FINALLY :clap
Yes, they will be available right here on this site. As soon as Frank returns to Montreal, we will list them.

WW
Forum and Website Administrator
Calzone
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Calzone »

UNBELIEVABLE!!! What an early christmas gift this will be...
mandrakeroot
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by mandrakeroot »

They fell on the mat this morning guys :shock: Look out for reviews shortly.
A J
mandrakeroot
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by mandrakeroot »

Maxoom Remastered version, as compared with the BOD German 1994 release. Listened to on Sensenheiser Sennheiser HD 600 Headphones through Nakamichi deck.

I have to say that I have been a fan of the German release, as I always thought it was a reasonbly clean recording. The vinyl version of this was very difficult to come by for me and I managed to find one person in my neighbourhood that owned a copy. After consistantly pestering him for about 12 months and offerings of various incentives, he eventually gave it to me for free :hairshocker. We never had the internet back then, but maybe that's as well!

MaxoomThe album starts with the title track and a low rumble that builds throughout the song and fades at the end, that is difficult to hear on the German version. On first hearing the new release has more depth and you can feel the bass lifted in the mix. You notice this straight away in "Buddy" which is very crisp and Frank's guitar work shines eponymously in mid song.

Magic Man looses none of it's original "magic" (sorry). The wah wah sound more punchy in the remastered version than previous, hearing Frank's guitar shining through just like it was intended to.

Funky Woman sounds like your listening to a different tune entirely and I have to admit that I like it even more now than I did previously, if that's possible. The whole song has been given a new lease of life, in that the whole mix has been tweaked, guitar fading in and out more naturally just like it should have done from the outset. The percussion has also been enhanced and adds much more to this song than my words can do justice to.

Madness introduces inself subtly and gently washes over you like a ocean, then hits you like a sledgehammer when the vocals hit you. "All I feel is the madness" Frank says, I'll not go into this statement in any detail, as much has been written previously. All I'll say is that this is even more poingniont and meaningfull than the previously incarnation on the German relase. Again I feel like I am listening to a different track, just listen as Frank's guitar tears into the solo :headbanger.

All In Your Mind This song is bright and energetic and again is like a new recording of an old song, bass is awsome on here. At the end of this track on the German import you can hear it physiccly change gear and the tone is noticably lower, not here a full on sound right until the end of the tune.

Blues Frank at his "blues best" (can't wait for that blues album). The piano is right out there, again breathing new life into an old classic. You can pick out every single bar of each instrament here, hat's off to you Frank, you've really hit the engineering high notes here.

There is great interplay on this that appears natural, must ask Frank about this take, a question springs to mind for later.

Boardwalk Lady is bright and clean, but it sounds a little overcooked to me. I can definatly hear some background here, presumably it's deliberate? I am not surprised at this, as it is a monumental task to re-engineer these old tapes and still retain the integrity of the original. Having said that, it is still an improvement on the original and away from the phones is sounds just glorious.

Back On Home classic Frank and there has been some good work done here. It must have been difficult to lift the vocals over the top of the mix and still leave the character of the song in tact. This is fully achieved in this song with nice channel swiching mid song that is not easily distinguished in the German copy.

The New Beginning the stoy was about to unfold for Frank as he set new horizons and one of my favourite songs. This song always deserved the remastering treatment, I often wonder if this song could have been a little longer. Perhaps we can persued Frank to do part 2?

In summary if you have various incarnations of this album, you need to buy this version. It's well worth hearing newly remastered Frank Marino music, because I am sure there was blood, sweat and tears shed here in the remastering. Wait for them to be on sale here soon, or for those that can't wait, get them now and then buy them again here :winky
A J