Upcoming touring (2006)

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
Frank Marino
Site Admin
Site Admin

Upcoming touring (2006)

Post by Frank Marino »

First thing:

Just a quick note to let you all know that we have a new agency (Monterey International) and the agent is quite on-the-ball about getting us some dates, and some pretty good places too.

So, any gigs you begin hearing about are real and true, especially in the time-frame of September onwards. There might be some one-offs before that, but not certainly.

I'm not going to come in and confirm every one of them like before, mainly because I trust this agency to get the right gigs and do it the right way, so look for it wherever you find it and believe it. I'll post from time-to-time when I get a chance.

Second thing:

We need to replace Peter Dowse on bass. No personal issue or problem, he just doesn't want to tour. He'll be really hard to replace cuz he's VERY musical, and technically very proficient as well. If anyone has ideas (real ones, not just suggestions) please post them or send them to me ASAP. We need a guy truly as good as Pete (not just wishful thinking), with the same "musical ear"... not too "hard-rock" or shred, but blues/jazz/R+B/rock background, able to play long groove psychedelic as well, willing to do it, interested in the music, and not out-of-this-world expensive. If you, or anyone you know, meet the criteria, get in touch. We will require recorded music or video and some kind of resume. This is not to say that a previously unknown or inexperienced guy should just not ask... lord knows that my own preference is to find a guy like Pete who actually hasn't ever been found by anybody... anyway, you get the idea. I just don't want to wade through alot of stuff for nothing.

Third thing:

I just completed the drums and rhythm tracks for 18 blues tunes, as well as 27 of my "pop" tunes. I'll probably never put the pop tunes out (as me, anyway) but I wanted to get them done. I still have fifty more that didn't get done by the time Dave had to go back to California. What I may do with them is get some other artists to cover them. And, make no mistake, some of them are really "hit" style material... you'd never know I wrote them if you know my main music style. Willy's heard a few over the phone, or sitting around with me and stuff like that. The blues stuff should be ready by later this year, perhaps even as early as late August.

I'll talk to you all soon, and see some of you in the fall, God willing.

Frank
Ze Finnish Line
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

re: Upcoming touring

Post by Ze Finnish Line »

Nice to hear those promising news about new releases and upcoming gigs! It's about time to hear some new stuff... 8)

If those pop songs are anywhere near songs like "When Love Is Lost", you shouldn't be afraid to release them by yourself. Maybe you could try the Santana trick and just use some smoother vocalists if you're not pleased to your own voice. Perhaps other "quest musicians" too. Maybe the guys who dropped out from the "Secondhand Smoke" would be interested to play some pop with you... :lol: You know, for example Steve Vai has released songs like "Celluloid Heroes" himself... :lol:

Good luck with the proficient bass player hunt!
Spudo769
Frankster
Frankster

Post by Spudo769 »

The agent looks like a quality operation with a lot of name acts, judging by their website. No info about dates or locations there, but does indicate this being a 35th anniversary tour. I hope this turns out to be a great new relationship, as it will be a good thing for all involved (Frank, us fans, the agent and the venues) if it does. And I also hope they book something over in Iowa or Wisconsin! Now there is a reason to hope Fall comes soon!
Dragonfly2
Frankster
Frankster

Post by Dragonfly2 »

It's always a grand pleasure to hear from you...to read something you've posted. I'm glad things seem to be going your way, except for Peter's absence on the upcoming tour.

I will definitely put the word out to many in the business here in Jacksonville, FL. There are many fine bass player's, at least one I would think, that would measure up to your expectations. I hope you don't get flooded with too many potentials. I imagine it will be quite a task trying to fill Pete's shoes. I pray the Lord will send you just the right person.

I hope to see you in Chicago on Oct 12th at the HOB. I'll have my new Gibson SG Supreme with me. Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet you, and lay your autograph down on it. :P BTW, it will be a Midnight Burst color....I'll try to remember to have the right autograph pen with me. Anybody have any suggestions on what's the best permanent marker/pen to use when signing a pristine guitar?

One more thing...do you know if there is a possibility of gigging in Jacksonville on your 35th? Take care, and God bless you Frank :D
halfaxe
Frankster
Frankster

Post by halfaxe »

This is great news Frank. :clap I wish you well finding another taleneted bass player like Peter. I always look forward to listening to your music. Can't wait for something new to add to the collection.

as always,
Take care,
half
halfaxe
Frankster
Frankster

Post by halfaxe »

For those who want to check it out

http://www.montereyinternational.net/mi_002.htm

half
Gus
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Gus »

Hello Frank, i was thinking about your Pop "hit" songs...You could propose three of those songs to Quebecer's Female Artists... I mean Lola Hughes is a great singer with a powerful voice( even a bit Rock 'n Roll ) but she's doing in Pop music, that would be a good choice...

For another one, i think that Nanette Workman would be very happy to sing one of those songs and you well know the voice of Nanette!!!!

I'm a bit nervous about the next one... :lol: Céline Dion! But she accepts songs by Aldo Nova, why not Frank Marino??? If you get a Pop " HIT " song!!! I'm just thinking for your own good and i think that it would be a real good thing for your composer's name that Céline Dion would pick up one of your songs and make a hit with it! She is known worldwide and we agree that we are talking about POP and not Hard Rock... It just was an idea you know... :lol: :lol: :embarrassed
garyd
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by garyd »

good to hear something from you Frank. how sweet it would be to see paul and jim back,but i know... good luck with the bass player hope to see you this fall....
EmperorIV
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by EmperorIV »

Frank, I will be waiting and watching patiently for any upcoming announcements for gigs...

I have a 14 year old son who is REALLY enjoying your music, and I didn't force him to listen..I just played stuff non-chalantly to see his response and he perked right up...my goal now is to get him to come to a show of yours for the full-effect...I hope this happens

Great news about the blues cd....I was explaining to my wife (who has attended quite a few of your shows with me) about the blues cd, and she immediately said "Now that would be a great cd!"...she has taste....LOL

I'm sure every guitar player in the world has had trouble at one time or another searching for bass players!! They seem to be hard to find, especially with Pete's pedigree!!! Good luck in your search!!
girthman
Gate Crasher
Gate Crasher

Post by girthman »

Frank - Having been a performing and recording musician for 30+ years, I know a number of fine bassists in the St. Louis area, but one in particular comes to mind whom I know would at least meet your musical, skill, and financial needs. His name is Phil Burton, and he works for SLM Electronics, which is now a division of LOUD Technologies, unfortunately, as they are in the midst of dismantling this fine company which had previously been a family owned operation.

Phil is not only one of the finest players around, he's extremely humble, easy going, and incredibly reliable and honest. He's an excellent electronics technician, and has great gear as well. He has an uncanny proficiency with the instrument (but is NOT a show-off), a marvelous sense of timing and taste, plus he can do backup vocals.

Although I do not have his current home phone number, SLM's is 314.569.0141, and the operator (Lisa, Kim, or Karen) can put you in touch with him. I do know he's out on vacation this week (6.19 - 6.23).

You may also get in touch with me if you'd like. My name is Guy Kingsbury (long time follower, of course....you signed my SG many years ago following a show in St. Louis); 314.766.8238/cell, e-mail girthman58@charter.net

All the best to you in your endeavours, and I truly look forward to seeing you again.

Artistically yours,

Guy