The Brook - Review thread - July 28, 2005

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
Wild Willy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Brook - Review thread - July 28, 2005

Post by Wild Willy »

Post any reviews or comments about the show at the Brook in Southhampton in this thread.

WW
Last edited by Wild Willy on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum and Website Administrator
mandrakeroot
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

re: The Brook - Review thread - July 28, 2005

Post by mandrakeroot »

Ok, its 7 hours after the concert and having waited soooo long it seems as though those 22 years have been but a blink of an eye (not really saw him at legends).

The venue is imtimate and looks like a converted chicken coop! and about half full:( There were about 150 people downstairs and the top section was closed. I am a little surprised at that, as I checked ticket sales on The brook website before the show and it said 47 left?

The show was booked for 9pm but the band came on at about 8.45 to a warm welcome.

My hazy memory tells me the show went something like this:

Voodoo Chile (Avi solo, Frank ends by saying to him "way to go buddy")
Red House (Sorry Jimi the best version I have every heard, so full of blues and soul.)
The Answer
Midnight highway
Stories of a Hero (A terrific predude to this with Frank scaling beautifully away for ages, until he launches into the song, I am getting goose bumps here just recalling it to memory)
He’s calling (Simply awesome)
Poppy (Lori, the longest version ever it must have clocked 45 mins. Avi soloing various exchanges with Frank throughout. A guitar fiddle showdown extravaganza. Wish you were here :winky )
Strange Universe (The band on top form here and again one of the best versions I have heard from Frank)
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Avalon
Drum solo (Where does Frank find these guys, this man has the skins off to a tee)
Electric Reflections of War (Improv, Frank takes center stage for 15 mins and wows us the way only he can)
Try for freedom

The show finished somewhere around midnight and left us shellshocked. Franks tone was spot on all through the show and man was it loud. I am still deaf this morning as I type this. Anyone reading this who has not got tickets to see FMMR go get them now! You will not spend 15 quid more wisely ever in your life (unless you buy a tour shirt as well that is :lol: )

So there you have it. It's all history now :!: He came, he saw he conquered.

Don't forget to add that B3 Frank. Thank you from my heart.
A J
Snail
Frankster
Frankster

Post by Snail »

My brain has been fried! Still coming down. Great night.

I took some photos which I have posted on my snailsongs site (link below, on my tag). You have to join the site, then go to: photos ---> Southampton.

They're not brilliant pics - my daughter's digital camera leaves a lot to be desired - but I'm sure the many Franksters who were there (with better cameras!) will deliver the goods!

Wonderful evening. I met some awesome Franksters, Frank and the guys in his band (got my leather cut-off signed) and had a fantastic time.

Love, Snail.
xox
Artist, musician, fan. Frank forever! By the way, I am LUNAPHAGE now, so I may be hassling you on myspace! :D

http://www.myspace.com/lunaphage
parky
Frankster
Frankster

Post by parky »

nice photos snail. i am going to endeavour to get some @ holmfirth and i will make them accessible for everyone too.

rock on

parky
ken stewart
Roadie
Roadie

Post by ken stewart »

Awesome. Outrageous. Loud!!! (even Frank thought it was too loud, but he couldn't get the volume turned down)

Wow, just woke up after a night trying to sleep with my ears ringing, still some background noise there.
The man just blew everyone away. I took some first timers with me and every time I looked at them they had big grins on the faces and shaking their heads - they couldn't believe what tney were seeing and hearing!!

Highlights for us were: Stories of a Hero, Rock n roll hall of fame, Electric Reflections of War (the noise went straight through your skull), Poppy with She's not there/ Crossroads.

Hats off to Frank, after 3 hours plus he still found time to say hello, sign autographs, pose for pictures - and he looked knackered (very tired). How he can do this 5 nights in row is beyond me - what must his fingers be made off.

Nice to meet you Snail, I'll try and post my pictures (not very good - from my phone) and my video clips (better also from the phone)
stevieb
Groupie
Groupie

Post by stevieb »

what a show,even better than the mean fiddler show if thats possible but franks crew also made the same observation,the set list was excellent see other reviews.my point is that after the show frank came out to meet us fans who stayed behind.signing autographs and having his picture taken.i had a long conversation with frank covering such diverse subjects as his new hobby,the original artwork for tales of the unexpected and a possible dvd.i really appreciated the time frank took to talk to me,sign my tickect and have my picture taken with him,so wild willy if you read this pass my regards on to frank,or frank if you read this thank you very much for taking the time out it was really apprecited on be half of myself and everyone else who was there thank you very muc it tooped off a great evening frank youre a great musician and a true gentleman cheers steve
jamey
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by jamey »

Thanks AJ and others for the reviews. What a blisterin' nite, eh?

Dave, why not bring the pics over here? Just a thought and thanks for
puttin' them up!

:headbanger
"My Life Has Had Its Ups And Downs, The Same As Everyone. But This Time The Ups Ain't Comin' 'Round, And I've Been Waiting So Long"... "In My Ways" by Frank Marino, "World Anthem" LP.
Lori
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by Lori »

mandrakeroot wrote:Poppy (Lori, the longest version ever it must have clocked 45 mins. Avi soloing various exchanges with Frank throughout. A guitar fiddle showdown extravaganza. Wish you were here :winky )
MAN--DRAKE--ROOT!!
I wish I was there too!!!

:smootch
(Now where's your t-shirt pic? Hmmm? I didn't forget!! :lol: )

Thanks to you ALL for your reviews!! AWESOME!!! :headbanger

- Lori
:D
farmanimal
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by farmanimal »

Thanks Guys!..Wish I would have been there.
Wild Willy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Wild Willy »

Sounds awesome...as usual! :clap :headbanger
Forum and Website Administrator