Frank makes the list

News about Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. Announcements only.
Forum rules
Announcements Only forum. Read Only Access for Registered Franksters.
sly
Groupie
Groupie

Frank makes the list

Post by sly »

According to Digital Dream Door Frank is in 169 position for the best guitat player :moon go to http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/ and click on ROCK. Do they really know Frank Marino :?:
I'm doing bad but not too bad
ZoSo
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

re: Frank makes the list

Post by ZoSo »

None of those guys in the list are bad. Every one of them is good in their own way. They are all individuals. I think the list is just mostly based on the current publicity value of each guitar player. It is alot better list than many other lists I have seen recently. Atleast there's not guys like Kurt Cobain listed on top 10. Although even Kurt caused many young kids to pick up a guitar and play - which is always a good thing.

There is still alot very well known guitar players below Frank on that list so it's not that bad in my eyes after all. Everyone on this board knows how brilliant guitar player Frank is anyway. I bet many people on other discussion boards are wondering at this very moment that why on earth a guy like Frank Marino is above their idols like The Edge, Brian Setzer, Pat Travers, Dave Mustaine, Syd Barret, Jeff Hanneman, Rick Derringer, james Hetfield, Jeff Baxter, Mike Bloomfield, Stone Gossard...

By the way, who are guys like:

12. Phil Keaggy - Glass Harp, Solo ?

28. Terry Kath* - Chicago Transit Authority ?
sly
Groupie
Groupie

Post by sly »

Zoso i don't know them 12. Phil Keaggy - Glass Harp, Solo and
28. Terry Kath* - Chicago Transit Authority. but I know Mike Bloomfield. This guy was the best guitar slinger in the middle of 60. Even better than Clapton,Beck and Page. Then Hendrix appeared 8)
I'm doing bad but not too bad
maddmarty
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by maddmarty »

"Your guitar player (Terry Kath, ed.) is better than me!!!", Jimi Hendrix to the drummer from Chicago Transit Authority. Jimi heard them in some small club, and gave them a big break when he made them his support act at the L.A. Forum in 1969.

Kath was good. He should have checked the chamber of his gun, though. His last words ever were, "Don't worry, it aint loaded".
mike b
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by mike b »

Re: Kath, and apparently both he and the gun were in fact loaded.... Too bad, good player!!!
Will be back when/if something new to discuss......
fatherofseven
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by fatherofseven »

I grew up in the Chicago area and I remember listening to the Loop, WLUP, the day the news broke Terry Kath shot himself. He was a good jazz player, but I just never really "got" his playing. My opinion is he is revered primarily because after he was dead people would automatically say he was great since he was dead and because of that Hendrix remark. Frankly I thought his tone sucked and his playing was kind of frenetic, but not in a good way. Sloppy bends and poor vibrato from not listening to enough blues cats or something. But I haven't listened to any Chicago or CTA for 20 years so maybe my memories are off base.
jjd

Re: Frank makes the list

Post by jjd »

Lists like this are silly. (For example, Roy Buchanan isn't even included on the list). To rank any item you need to have some quantitative method of evaluation. So you could say, "use people's opinions". Doesn't work as “popularity” and "best" (whatever that means) are going to be mutually exclusive. In addition, biasing will occur, as replies will be influence by the individual's personal experiences and knowledge. So, such lists have no merit, period. Even if Frank was first, these lists are still just BS.

Stuff like this is to get people to buy magazine (and see ads), visit websites (and encounter internet ads), listen to radio stations (and hear ads), etc. It’s a form of marketing… don’t take the bait. Music, like life, isn’t about lists.

Cheers!

sly wrote:According to Digital Dream Door Frank is in 169 position for the best guitat player :moon go to http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/ and click on ROCK. Do they really know Frank Marino :?:
fatherofseven
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Post by fatherofseven »

Well sure everything you said is true. But it's still sometimes fun to discuss this stuff because sometimes people encounter new players.
DocBluez
Band Aid
Band Aid

Post by DocBluez »

Interesting list. Besides being into Frank's music, I am a Thin Lizzy fanatic and got a real kick out of seeing 4 former Lizzy guitarists in the Top 200 (Gary Moore, Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham and Eric Bell). Although, to be honest, to rank Scott Gorham ahead of Frank Marino is pure lunacy.

Also, Gary Moore made their list of blues guitarists as well.

Frank is a Top 5 guitarist though, not number 169. That's a bit of a joke.
ZoSo
SuperFrankster
SuperFrankster

Re: re: Frank makes the list

Post by ZoSo »

DocBluez wrote:Interesting list. Besides being into Frank's music, I am a Thin Lizzy fanatic and got a real kick out of seeing 4 former Lizzy guitarists in the Top 200 (Gary Moore, Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham and Eric Bell).
I noticed the same thing but actually that makes it five former Thin Lizzy players. John Sykes holds the position 105 right after Ted Nugent ( :shock: )... Lizzy guys really belong to that list. They have created some very beautiful music and solos.

I know that Gary Moore is doing well on his solo career, Sykes & Gorham are running Thin Lizzy again and Brian Robertson plays in small clubs all over Northern Europe every now and then with bands like Five Fifteen but whatever happened to Eric Bell ? Is he still in the music business ? I'd also like to see Robbo playing for bigger audiences but I guess we should be happy that he is even gigging in the first place.